Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wimbledon 2010 Quarterfinals result: Tsventena Pironkove defeats Venus Williams, Clijster out

IN A biggest upset of Wimbledon 2010 five-time champion Venus Williams has been ousted by 82nd ranked Bulgarian Tsventena Pironkove 6-2, 6-3 on Tuesday. This was her worst loss at Wimbledon in her eight finals with just five winning games.

In another surprise 21st seeded Russian Vera Zvonareva rallied to beat two-time U.S. open winner Kim Clijster 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 to reach her first Wimbledon semi-finals.

After Roddick exit last day against Lu of Taiwan, Willams failed to gain momentum against 22 year old Pironkova who is lowest ranked player in the remaining.

Venus realistically said after the match, “I just didn't get enough balls in today. I let it spiral and didn't get any balls in. I had a lot of opportunities, a lot of short balls and I seemed to hit each one out. ”

Earlier in Australian Open 2006 Pironkova beat Venus Williams in the first round but few gave her a chance of replicating the feat on the grass of Wimbledon.

Happy Pironkova, said, “Honestly, I think no one expected me to play semifinal in Wimbledon and to beat Venus Williams like that. Coming here I really just wanted to play a good game, to maybe win one or two rounds.”

She added, “I still cannot believe that I reached the semifinals. This is truly like a dream to me.”

Pironkova will face Zvonareva, who rallied for her first win over Clijsters in six meetings.

Read More >> Wimbledon 2010

Related Tag >> Wimbledon 2010 matches, Wimbledon 2010 News

No comments: