Friday, July 23, 2010

CWG 2010: Common man's wealth games

I STILL remember an article in a leading English newspaper in late 2003, which appreciated the efforts of the government for getting the Commonwealth Games to Delhi, as it had won the bid in Jamaica. Though the state government started the preparation in 2004, but lately I actually forgot the term CWG, and it was only a year back, that the newspapers and online news websites starting buzzing about it.

I wonder where they were from past six years. Everyday I watch the TV news channels smearing the Delhi government whenever they see a open manhole on the footpath, or a waterlogged road. Till now everything seems to be messy, whether it is BRT, Cannaught Place or Greater Kailash, the preparation has hit the people hard, the construction in Delhi means traffic, traffic = loss of time, and that in turn means loss of money. That is why people now try their best to avoid these routes.
The government says that, the objective behind getting the games here was to showcase Delhi as an international city (as termed by the Home Minister) people across the globe should see that how Delhi has developed over the decades (lets say over the months), how the infrastructure has improved (lets say construction has taken place).

And when I discuss this issue with people, I get mixed response, some say that the city is becoming better, on the other hand, some people think that it is just a waste of money. But I am looking at the bigger picture, I believe that such events should take place, on the same time I am against event based development. The important issue is that how these games can create an improved long term infrastructure for the city, as I am very hopeful that after event we will again see vendors on the footpath, the beggars on the streets, water logging during monsoons, water and electricity crisis during summers, and regular traffic jams on the road.

Read More >> Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010

No comments: